December 28, 2006

Pursuit of Blood Diamonds

Pursuit of Happyness was campy as expected. Mom loved it, of course. I thought Will Smith's son was a cutie pie but other than that aigh. Though I did cry at the very end when Will Smith's character gets the job of his dreams and runs to his son's daycare to hug him. It reminded me of all the times growing up my mom raced to my side and held me so tight because something had gone her way and I was the only person she felt mattered enough to tell--though I was too young to grasp the depth of the accomplishment. Thandie Newton's character though unlikable was well acted in all her bony, made under splendor.

The Diamond Dealer took me to see Blood Diamonds at the Loewes by Lincoln Center. He held his tongue except for a spontaneous, "That's the first myth!" uttered during the first few moments of the film while the credits rolled and "stats" were displayed on the screen. It was interesting to hear his take on the film as we walked from the theater to my subway ride and his glorious penthouse; alongside the park, past the AOL Time Warner Center...so New York sitcom momen.

Till I told the original older man in my life about the new, special older man. He took it well for the most part but I could tell he was miffed because he always believed I thought he was too old for me, though I'd never given him any such indication. He was also aghast that Irish was Irish. He'd made the mistake of assuming I only dated my own--a mistake others have made before him only to be alarmed to see me walk arm-in-arm with one of theirs. Sigh. When you assume...

No comments: