December 29, 2006

Serial Dater

I've always cringed at the term serial dater. I mean why must the ability to date well--the willingness to explore what's out there to the fullest--result in a title that conjures memories of serial killers.

Anyway, I was recently told I was a serial dater. No big surprise, but it got me thinking about the phrase. It's catchy. It's clever. I rather like it. But more than that, I think it's apt for New York City. In a subculture that revels in diversity with a veritable pu-pu platter of options the most efficient way to maximize your dating potential is to serial date.

How is serial dating different from just old fashioned, non-monogamous dating you ask? Well, I'm no expert (I can't take credit for coining the term) but from what I've deduced serial daters are addicted to first dates. It's more about meeting new people and adding to a pre-existing dance card that it is about settling down. A serial dater goes on a lot less second dates than a regular dater. After all, when you actualize on your options you're bound to be more selective. Selectivity hinges on criteria that is you-specific and it cannot be molded to another's standard.

That said, serial dating gets to be a bit of a disease, particularly in the internet context because you continually want to see what in the bush is better than the birds you currently have in hand. The phenomenon of "not settling" takes on what I call the Vast Menu Syndrome: when you have so many options, options you have never tried that look good, you are naturally curious. How and when do you choose just one entree even if you get one or two sides?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. I came across your blog on the random and I do have to say you write quite eloquently. I enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Serial Dater!

Just wanted to invite to you my new blog on Serial Dating!

Love to read your comments.

Just the Tips!

Frank
http://justthetips.blogspot.com