May 17, 2007

Brooklyn's Best

Yesterday, D'Souza and I went to Brooklyn. It must be noted that yesterday's rain rivaled a monsoon drizzle but in my open-toed heels and flimsy umbrella it could have been a tornado.

Having skipped breakfast and lunch (yes, I did begin my day with a trusty frappuccino--no I have not quit!), my hypoglycemic index was admittedly through the roof as we trudged through a maze of subway connections to arrive in Prospect Heights--really Crown Heights. He balked at the vast number of unemployed hoodlums lining the subway tiles. I pretended not to notice.

He shook his head as we walked along a desolate road to an apartment building that resembled the projects. Now, I must admit that elitism reigned, as we both stared dumb-founded at the Communistic concrete barrack that greeted us in a forlorn neighborhood void of white people. Yes, he said white people. I would have gone with suited people, but we'll take it for what it is. I avoided a long discussion on race with him--which I am fond of getting myself into with any and all who will indulge me--perhaps the only thing I hold onto idealistically is the notion that all people should be equal and thus treated as such. Yes, I am well aware that the world does not operate in this way.

I digress. As we milled around miserable in the rain I addressed the Jersey City issue. He was a sweetheart and didn't push a state change in my future address, but as I sit here and type I'm not sure what it is that I am fighting for...Manhattan is egregiously expensive for a tiny space where windows are luxury commodities and every expense carries a hefty preminum for being provided on this island. Yet the convenience of doing my groceries at 3am, should I so desire and a subway that always takes my drunk ass home just can't measure against a drastic change in lifestyle required if I move to Jersey City or even Brooklyn. I'm fighting for my way of life here. My method of being...of breathing...of pursuing happiness.

God Damn It, I work at the ACLU...Living here is an exercise in my liberty as a civilian of the American Nation...albeit a non-unionized exercise. For the simple reason that I WANT TO...I continue to live and dream and hope and wait to exhale in the one and only Big Apple.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

elitism?

you're an overweight temp living with roommates in a boring part of manhattan. what exactly is so elite about that?

Sweet & Vicious said...

Let's see...I live IN Manhattan--in a luxury building with a Stanford educated lawyer who works at a prestigious New York City firm and a banker who will soon be attending an Ivy-League B-School. What's your definition of elite?

Question: How does my weight factor into my viewpoint on this issue?

Rebuttal to your undoubtedly asinine answer to above question: Historically, fuller figured women were associated with prosperity--in that their families coudl afford to keep them well-fed and from malnourishment--which plays into an elitist world view.
In a modern context, the plus size model on America's Next Top Model--a student at Dartmouth--was of some heft but that didn't keep her off TV!

Anonymous said...

Have you looked into Hoboken? It's more fun than Jersey City and it is also cheaper than Manhattan.

Anonymous said...

elitism by association -- wow.

Anonymous said...

where are you?