July 23, 2007

NYC has Me

I thought you were sleepless.
No, that’s Seattle.
I don’t sleep.

I thought you had Sunshine.
No, that’s Florida
I have the Sunshine Theater.

I thought you had…
Oh, never mind.
What do you have?

I have bodegas around the corner
Posters of the sole 9/11 mourner
I have the crossroads of the world
Black and white sailors as nurses swirl

Year-round rooftop gardens flowering
All around me buildings towering
Natives and transplants cowering
All around me love is souring

“Empire State” they all hail--
Thieves rotting in jail
Kids on parental bail
My elderly aren’t frail
Ships arrive and set sail
I’ve withstood every gale
To Christ’s cross some nail
Sirens of all manner wail
My people seldom trail
Irrespective of life’s ail
I brew the perfect ale--
All other cities pale!

I have color
I have class
I have flavor
I have sass

I have you.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should really stick to prose; your poetry is simply horrid.

Anonymous said...

And I should really stick to leaving comments; my life really sucks and as dumb as my comments may be(they probably are) they just make my day.

Anonymous said...

Ignore the stupid comments. Let's hear more about your new apartment and the living with boyfriend situation.

Anonymous said...

How do you like the pounding?

Anonymous said...

I reluctantly have to agree. I myself am highly squeamish when reading other people's poetry. Good poetry is a lot harder to write than people think it is. Host excels at prose!!!
Stick to what works!

--CBF