August 6, 2008

Houdini

D'Souza and I have long joked that Vegas is Houdini reincarnated as a fluffy whie pup. This has never been more true than yesterday.

Luckey and I went downtown to check out The Falls--whilst a nice guy from Getty Images photographed us going about our "Staycation".

D recently installed an AC in my apartment but instead of investing in actual unit siding from Home Depot we opted for a piece of flimsy folder and scotch tape to close the big gap left by the relative shortness of the AC to the width of the window.

I thought nothing of any of this as Luckey and I jauntily set off at noon yesterday. We had a fine time and even picked up some 5 for $1 dumplings from Chinatown as we returned Uptown. As I turned the bend on 102 Street, I heard high-pitched barking which sounded a lot like Vegas but I dimissed as just another pup on the premises. Lo and behold, as I ambled down the block the barking grew louder and I looked into my small courtyard to see my small dog sitting beside the black gate scratching the front door to my apartment and barking his little puppy head off.

Alarmed, I rushed down the few black steps leading to the gate unlocked it and plucked him up off the ground--shaken by the thought that he could easily have been stolen for parts if not the whole. YIKES! He could have been taken just to silence the irksome barks. How long had he been sitting out there?

I couldn't believe he jumped from my bed onto the window sill and clawed his way out through the folder then dropped 2.5 feet through the black bars on my window into the filthy courtyard. My neighborhood is not known for its cleanliness or respect for public/private property--people routinely throw stuff down into my diminutive outdoor space. Sigh.

Luckey would never have done any such thing had I left him home alone. Now I'm petrified to leave Vegas unattended--what if he embarks on anothe stunt like this but isn't so lucky. Crazy animal.

No comments: