September 6, 2008

Boarder

Upon my return from the Hamptons, I realized that despite the relative inexpense my rent imposes (as opposed to the greater Manhattan population) the figure remains oppressive to the officially unemployed.

So the lemonade I've made with these life's lemons involves a boarder. A person who lives in my living room on a paid, weekly basis.

His name is Rahul Karahi. He's very international but Pakistani by upbringing. As an internet starter-upper he is working on building capital for his website that caters to litigants seeking litigators in class action suits. Currently he is also working on another site that will enable indie film-makers to secure brand marketing and sponsorship from Fortune 500 retailers.

The diminutive nature of my abode combined with the reality that south-asians have a lower expectation of privacy has led to a fairly amenable living arrangement. He sleeps on the couch in my 17x6, fully furnished living room and I get help with the rent. Beats working but puts a damper on socializing...just as well since I need to focus full force on my Ph.D applications.

Not to mention, my lazy ass needs motivation to get out of bed and into the world. Having a constant home presence pushed me to actually get out of the apartment and into the many city activities I procrastinate on participating in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow You don't do things halfway do you? Always such drastic enterprises! Like a pin ball bouncing from side to side.

Gotta hand it to you; I never understand how one can just invite a stranger into one's home like that. Kudos for that skill. And you an only child, too! And its a co-ed situation too--isn't that awkward?

Me, I'd go ballistic in three hours. I'd be like, what the HELL is this person doing in my space? Time for you to go, right? Oh wait I forgot, you live here? Hey--don't touch that! It's perfect the way I had it!

My new pad is on the top floor of a 3 story building, I have no footsteps over my head to deal with. It has a private deck; I can see the ESB; and 210 degrees of sky. There's a big dark green mass of trees in the park a block away; I will get to watch their heads change color. And I can see a little bit of the river.

I would do anything to keep this pad. Being unemployed in NYC is the scariest thing I ever heard of. If I didn't have a nice private zone which keeps the rest of the annoying mongrels at bay-- I'd disintegrate!

C.