September 6, 2008

New York State Psychiatric Institute at Columbia University

I secured a coveted research project at the New York State Psychiatric Institute at Columbua University that begins on Monday.

My volunteer position as a rater involves watching pre-recorded narratives of people who recently suffered from stressful life events in an effort to develop a more economical measure than the one that currently exists. Basically providing inter-rater reliability for the research being done.

My hope is to secure a stellar letter of recommendation for graduate school from this position which will more than make up for the fact that I will be spending 18hrs/wk in an unpaid work setting. What better practice for my future life as a doctoral student in clinical psychology?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

18 hrs a week (well that's equivalent to a part time job, basically) but no PAY?

I think a grad school needs more than just a sterling letter of rec. Don't you need a lot more undergrad background in place to start pursuing a career in medicine?

How do you know you are going to be able to enjoy this career? Hopefully the volunteer work will help you learn more about what
you're getting into.

Ugh, I always found business and science both unbearable as career choices. Such stuffy ranks! Doesn't seem like you at all.

Anyway congrats on the position, MT
Good luck~

--C.