December 10, 2008

Exit Strategy

Today, I was talking to Tracey--as I oft do, but have not as much off late, given her myriad of jobs and my lackluster attitude towards my phone--and we had an interesting discussion about exit strategies.

Her argument was that in relationships we should never lose sight of the exit stategy. People change. Things change. Best to be prepared.

My argument was that if you always have an out how sincere are you about a future with your partner. Clearly, not all relationships are meant to last, but I'm speaking more of the ones that have the potential to be significant. How can you be in it 100% if you always have one foot out the door?

2 comments:

Steve Morozumi said...

excellent point!

i like your blog!

can you add a "Follow This Blog" gadget in your sidebar so i can follow your blog?

write me back at fluxlife1@gmail.com if you do. thanks !!!

-steve @ fluxlife

Unknown said...

This type of attitude is -- I think -- the only one that offers a functional approach. I mean, "100% in" is great, but it has to have some realistic implications, too. Having an exit strategy does not mean that you necessarily have to use it. Just because I have a triple-A membership, does not mean I am planning to have a flat tire. But truly, one never knows.