February 20, 2009

Jack

Last night, I was at Greenwich Treehouse post work with Jo, Tommy, Reba (T's sis), and Tessie (T's ex) because Devon (T's cousin) was bartending.

Tom made the mistake of blurting out my new obsession with shooting Jack Daniels. Now, I think that's an overstatement but as of Monday night I have switched allegiances from vodka to whiskey....or bourbon in this case. So, in the name of all that is holy (10 years of committed vodka-rific drinking)I am now onto man-cohol. I've always held that hard drinking old men sip in the whiskey/scotch/bourbon realm of booze. To say I have joined them is an understatement.

Digression aside, Devon decided to ensure I follow on the path to liver failure in top form. He poured me an array of aforementioned alcohol ranging from Wild Turkey (yikes) to Crown Royal (aigh) to Canadian Rye (he called it The Bullet). It was a veritable tasting tournament until the owner of the bar decided we all needed to play Wii.

Wii Bowling to be specific. As with real bowling, I sucked initially but after some targeted coaching I beat Tommy. Devon and Tessie, whom D coached, were far ahead of us but I felt I was legitimately the most improved. I could never beat Tom in REAL bowling, but Wii bowling is a different matter entirely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wild Turkey is foul. Hunter S. Thompson liked it; but that's about it

Southern Comfort--similarly, too sweet.

Jack Daniel's--is also not that well regarded. Be aware, that it is not bourbon; either.

Jim Beam and Old Granddad are bourbons. I'm a drinker of Beam when I drink alone say, on a weeknight. It's smooth and easy. Really a wonderful liquor for shots. Wash it down with PBR.

Vodka is good for a night on the town because it mixes so well.

Congrats on the evolution.


Let me know when you're ready to hear about single-malt scotch.

Sweet & Vicious said...

I don't know if I can graduate to single-malt scotch. I kinda LOVE Jack.

It's like when I started drinking beer at the ripe age of 22 in Boston over St. Patty's Day and discovered a love for BudLite. Yes, I KNOW it's piss-colored and water-level in its alcohol content but I *heart* it. I swear it's not the ad campaign either. It just went down so easily and completely shattered my long-held belief that beer tasted like total CRAP.

My affair with Mr. Daniels was similarly struck. I had always felt a bit queasy at the smell of man-cohol (scotch, bourbon, whiskey, brandy, etc.) but upon finally swilling Jack I was pleasantly surprised at the taste. THE ACTUAL TASTE.

Even good vodka doesn't taste like much. You can only hope it is adequately chilled so as not to burn your gullet on the way in but really not delicious. It absolutely mixes well...but nothing like Jack and Coke Zero--it's like a freakin'chocolate spritzer. MMMM