April 6, 2009

1 Bachelorette Down, 2 to go

Saturday night was Lauren's bachelorette party. I spent the day racing.

11:40am Woke up too late and learned my car wouldn't start.

Dubiously approached the man in the Subaru, thankfully he had jumper cables, for a jump. His battery was in the trunk--weird--it's not a sports car. His wife came along with two children and did a better job walking us through the process than he managed on his own. Turns out they live in my building, a fact that she knew and I didn't. I felt guilt mingling with gratitude.

1:15pm Stopped at Party City in Wayne, NJ, to discover the plentitude of bachelorette party paraphenelia. Who knew? Got the "Tying the Knot, Buy me a Shot!" pink plastic shotglass ring, a party game, a banner, nametags that read "Girlfriend of the Bachelorette" and a sash for Lauren.

1:30pm Made it to the Lakehouse with Luckey.

2:00pm Yuki Sushi with Mom & Mr. Mom.

3:00pm Groceries. Gas. Purchased jumper cables of my very own.

5:00pm Headed back to the City.

6:00pm Cursed traffic whilst waiting to get on the GWB.

6:45pm Got home. Put away groceries. Parked car. Changed hurriedly and headed to Mandee, the MOH's, lovely apartment on gratefully E. 86th.

7:30pm Waited for Lauren to arrive. Jo had gone to the Slope to collect her.

8:30pm Played party games like "How well do you know your fiancee" and "DRINK NOW!"--alright so the latter is less a game and more a chant.

10:00pm We headed over to Arlene's Grocery for some live music.

11:00pm I was trashed and went home.

12:00am I returned to Arelene's after some prompting from Z who was in the 'hood and recommended I make the best of a bachelorette situation.

1:00am We headed from Arlene's to SkinNY. Gotta love the LES. Insane number of photos were snapped--mostly by me but some by Jo as well. Girls started to dwindle. Mandee purchased 2-3 bottled of champagne for many rounds of toasting to the health and happiness of the bride-to-be.

3:00am The night of revelry came to a close. Jo and I walked slowly but speculatively towards the 6 at Bleecker whence I hopped my train and she kept heading West.

I have two more of these nights ahead of me in the next three months. Assuming Karen has her big event on this side of the pond...she's headed to London mid-July to start her life with husband there. Eventually they hope to return or at least hop over to France. Ah, change!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the Yale guy follow-up with Jo?

Is the Texas girl you were dancing with also a Tea-Girl?

By the way I think the Tea-Girls/Tea-Ladies need a snazzier, more provocative name. Should I contribute some?

Are they really all getting married except for you and Jo?
Why?

Anyway, I hope they're all at least in their late thirties. I can't even count the number of women I've dated who got married in their teens and early twenties.

I hope they are aware of the nuances of the pre-nup.

signed,
too much time on my hands

Anonymous said...

Sorry, typo above. I mean to say I hope they are all in their late TWENTIES if they are getting hitched. Better chance of success.