October 29, 2005

Au Natural

Just when I think I'm ready to accept the curls that frizz around my chocolate face, the self-loathing kicks in. Years of straightening treatments and recent months of flat-ironing hav e damaged my hair less than the beating my self-image has taken.

I can't bear to amble through this town with my hair undone. I feel the self-conscious stares of those who don't notice me and the embarrased mumbles of those that do. It's not just the volume, couple that with the wayward nature of face-framing tendrils--it's frightfest.

Maybe next wash, my hair will be more bouncy and less little shop of horrors. Maybe next time, I will find myself better suited to accept my hair as a natural, beautiful part of me. But for now I've straightened it under my nurse's headband-hat. The one time of year I could go out with my hair au natural and I'm victim to my vanity.

No comments: