October 17, 2005

So it Begins...

My 25th birthday is fast approaching...eeek!

My mom and her boyfriend, soon-to-be fiancee--Marc, took me to brunch and dinner this weekend. I had reservations for 2:15pm but since my mom runs on IST* we couldn't eat at Garden of Ono so I took them up to the roof of the Gansevoort for drinks--the hip crowd blew them away (it was also windy!) so I was forced to scour MePa for something appropriate.

We had brunch at Vento and got drinks with tapas at Spice Market, which my mom actually loves more than me**. Whilst sipping drinks, my mother starts talking to one of the suits at the bar across from us. Marc and I chuckle to ourselves as we recognize that this innocent guy has no idea my mum is NOT hitting on him--she's just freakishly friendly and even more so youthful, not just in appearance. She's 50 but often gets mistaken for my younger sister. She attributes it to my 4-inch height advantage, I'm not so sure. Thankfully I'm past insult (my mommy gets more play than me) and well on my way to humble acceptance (good genes can't hurt, I'll still be gettin' play in 25 years!).

Whilst there, I was presented with a digital camera from Marc. Apparently my mom has completely forgotten that she got me a digicam for my 21st b'day with her then bf/the closest I've come to a non-related father figure. Good thing, I busted the shutter six months later and have not used it since. I still intend to take it to B&H for a fix, once I start getting paid again.

My mother masterfully purchased for me a lovely pendant with white and black diamonds on a white gold chain. Sadly,even though my mother has exquisite taste her gifts for me are hit or miss at best. While I frown at the very notion of white gold...I absolutely despise yellow gold. So, thanks Mom! More importantly, I love diamonds. I haven't taken the pendant off.


*Indian Standard Time=ETA*1/2* 1 hour late
*1/2*ETA=Estimated Time of Arrival...hey, some people don't know that one.
**She loves the restaurant more than I do, not that she loves the restaurant more than she loves me.

No comments: