November 9, 2005

Cyber Restraining Order

One of the e-mails that greeted me this morning was "Moti sewer ki batchi" which in hindi translates to "Pearly child of the sewer" or the more likely "Fat Sewer Bitch". I promptly changed my spam settings to no longer receive e-mails from that address.

The back story goes like this;
Against my better judgement I went on A date with an Indian (yes, another one) young (23) banker (obviously an analyst). I didn't feel any chemistry and the fact that he was a smoker was a HUGE turn-off, so I said a polite goodnight--reject his attempts at kisses and fled home.

He's been IMing me on and off and last night I just didn't want to talk to him, so I didn't engage him and remained fairly unresponsive, till he got angry and started furiously IMing me with "Slut" (see you next tuesday--I hate that word. If that makes me a prude so be it--I'm not denying anyone else's freedom of press, but I'm not putting it on my blog!), etc. So I blocked his screen name. This enraged him further so he started IMing me with another screen name which I refused to block because 1) he wanted me to block it, he kept taunting me 2)it became apparent to me that this would just lead to more screen names being used against me. So I just quit talking to him--minimized his AIM window and continued on.

This has led to him texting me twice and e-mailing me from two different e-mail addresses, both of which I have blocked--but I'm not sure if he gets a block message, since I used my spam controls to do it. Ignorinng him isn't working as well as I'd hoped, but what's my recourse?

Do cyber restraining orders exist? Without his IP address (even with it), what can I really do to protect myself from the slings and arrows of this man?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No such thing as cyber-restraining orders. Harassment is oftentimes, just something that we all have to live with in the internet age.

You can report the abuse to AOL. You can change your email address.
He will still be able to find your blog.

What is his service provider? Report the abuse to them. They are the only ones who can control who he sends mail to.

What concrete, real-world info do you have on him? Knowledge is power. You can warn him his identity will be 'outed' if he persists.

You can warn him that you will CONTACT HIS EMPLOYER. Banks are not very happy at all to have a wacko employee like that and his rep would be ruined.

Finally, you can tell him even more simply, (and accurately too) that if he keeps it up you will have someone beat the living fuck out of him.

If I had info on this guy I would happily exact some refined revenge on him. I am sure other dudes would do the same, simply on principle. He need not be harmed-- but there are ways of making someone's life temporarily miserable.