December 28, 2005

Norman

My best guy friend from high school, Norman visited with me yesterday. He brought over a young chickadee he met at a Bat-Mitzvah two summers ago...they've managed to KIT all this time and were reunited over their mutual love of swing dancing. She's in school in Ohio and he currently resides in Sin City--soon to-be-NYC corporate lawyer man. See, a Stanford law degree is really worth the $120K.

Norman and I have had a longstanding friendship that was tinged with requisite teen angst in the beginning stages. Being my first close male friend, I developed the unnecessary trite crush on him which was less unrequited and more quelled by religious differences--you see, Norman's a Jew and I'm NOT. So, our brief affair was coated in strife and drama to the likes of Dawson's Creek on a bad day.

However ever since we separated to pursue collegiate lives--I had seriously considered Cornell,but thankfully applied early to Hopkins and we split--he's been the paragon of kind and thoughtful. We haven't had anything resembling an argument in the last 7 years--which is remarkable if you've ever met me.

Norman is effusive, kind, compassionate, idealistic, and overall Mr. Sunshine. It still surprises me that his cheery can match my dreary. But so we exist--ying to the yang! I don't frown on him dating younger women and he doesn't grimace at my tales of portfolio dating--always complementary. In not judging we remain true...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the nonjudgmental friends...