February 22, 2006

Is Wall St. this way?

Just returned to my desk after a working lunch at Zeytuna with my colleague.
On the way back, an older dork stops us to enquire, "Is Wall st. this way?" pointing towards it. My colleague acknowledged him, affirming his directional sense. But instead of moving on he asked me pointedly, "Did you go to school in the city?" In an effort not to seem rude in front of my colleague, I respond, "No, I did not."

He continues asking me questions about myself. I answer curtly, and he then proceeds to answer the question himself--as this forced conversation escalates, my colleague points to the nearest store and asks, "Will you pop into Duane Reade with me? Baby wants something sour."

Seizing his opportunity, the accountant who works in the area so OBVIOUSLY is aware of exactly where Wall Street is proceeds to ask the direct question, "Would you like to have lunch sometime?" That's my cue. I smile and shrug, "That's so sweet, but my boyfriend would not be happy." My pregnant colleague holds back a chuckle and we skip into Duane Reade where she bursts into controlled laughter as I say, "Now you've seen the portrait of the men I attract! Is it any wonder that I am single"

Of all the glorious, suited Wall Street guys I get hit on by the old (not gold) accountant, the most boring of professions. WHY?

Upon our return, she stops colleagues in the elevator, in the lobby, and finally on our floor to regale them with this tale of my woe. Polite laughter ensues all around, but the other singletons know--this is the way of our world.

No comments: