February 3, 2006

My Pet's Vet Visit

Last night, I took Luckey to the vet for the first time. He'd been to a vet before but this was his first visit with me. I forgot his paperwork at home in my effort to ready him and get to the vet's on time, so I left him with the vet secretary to race home and retrieve necessary medical information to ensure he got the best medical care possible. Already a bad pet owner, I arrived in a huff consumed with guilt at having trusted this strange woman to look out for my boy.

The vet assured me that Luckey was in perfect health. He exclaimed at the pup's sunny disposition and poised playfulness. I fed him beef liver treats as the vet plunged a rabies vaccine into his teeny tuckus--the yelp Luckey let out caused my brow to furrow--but what melted my heart was that his little legs made their way towards me and he nestled in the crook of my arm as soon as the doctor released him. I was his comfort. I was the giver of good treats. I would fix it, in his opinion. It was a gesture no human can replicate, but it was one that caused my heart to swell and my arms to reach out in an effort to protect and console.

Whilst at the vet's, I beheld an exceptional phenomenon. A tall, athletic, unwed man (as I could tell from his naked ring finger) in his late 20s/early 30s was discussing with the vet, Dr. Miller, the merits of taking 13-mile runs with his dog. The vet advised against this given the condition of this particular animal's abdominal lining. Moments later, a massive black beast loped into the vet's waiting room, freshly preened and full of energy. The jock who owned him dropped on all fours and proceeded to coo at his beloved animal in a fashion that can only be likened to a grandmother pinching the cheeks of her 12-year old grandson--embarrassing yet endearing. I was amazed how this grown man turned to complete mush when it came to his massive dog. He treated him with the affection and attention I have never see a man display in public.

As I pressed Luckey's racing heart close to mine, I realized how ridiculous I must seem to this man whose dog could make a light snack of my toy. The thing was the man had nothing but warm regard for me and mine. The comraderie of fellow pet ownership raised me in his esteeem--the caliber of pet seemed secondary.

As he left he turned to me and said, "Enjoy him while he's young, they grow up so fast. He's an adorable dog."
I smiled, stunned. "You're a beautiful man" I wanted to respond, but the etiquette of the moment dictated otherwise.
I merely nodded and said, "Your dog is magnificient. Hope he feels better!"
He bobbed his head and ambled out with his precious pet in tow.

Another handsome man I'll never see again...but whose momentary presence floods me with hope. Hope that there is more out there than I credit the world with holding for me!

No comments: