March 27, 2006

Piano Man

Whilst at Smoke last night, I met Matt Ray. Read all about his famous exploits on his site. He had on adorable, black geeky glasses which I'm a true sucker for and an aura of humility that belied his 33 years--14 of which have been professional.

His babyface and boyish demeanor endeared him to me instantly. At the close of his first set with Deana Leonhart, I walked up to the bar (not just to close out the tab but also to speak to him) and applauded his finesse with the ivory keys. He took me to be a player at which point I foolishly mentioned that I played the harp when in reality I put my lips together and blow on occassion, which DOES not constitute any level of profiency especially when talking to a successful, professional musician--the likes of Matt Ray. Now, I'm embarrassed!

In order to be a true groupie he told me I had to come watch him play again. So I'll be heading to the Rainbow Room on Friday to watch his fingers make magic again as rich people get their groove on the revolving dance floor. He's genuinely modest and the richness of his demeanor makes me want him as my musical best friend.

No comments: