March 27, 2006

UN Peacemaker

I've always known that people had interesting jobs. Some of those jobs are even important. In my Mediation class of my Basic Practicum on Conflict Resolution and Mediation this weekend, I met an Australian computer engineer/chiropractor turned lawyer who is studying Public Administration. He took a fancy to me.

Frequently presenting me with an orange to awaken my sleep-deprived brain and inviting me to lunch on both days of the session. He informed me last night at Smoke that my unique $1 ring had intrigued him. He said there were many pretty girls in New York (me being one of them) but few had impressed him as I had. I'm entirely unsure as to what I could have done to be as impressive as he made me out to sound, but a compliment when directed to me is not wasted. So my coy smile gave way to a polite "Thank you" and a humble head bob.

He's a towering chap, probably at least 6'3" but he's not a skinny boy. He's most definitely a man. A man with smart glasses, kind eyes, and hair closely shaved to hide the lack of it. I'm not one to swoon at an accent, but I found less charming than his accent the reality that he asked me to repeat myself a few too many times to allow the conversation to flow at a pace I enjoy. Patience never was my virtue.

The whole time I was out with him all I could think was he'd be a great double date to go on with Jo and Evan. And I'm seeing him again next week just so I can get to a point where it won't seem odd for us to go out and get a drink with Jo and Evan.

I'm not sure I can see past V right now, but if you can't have a crush it's still nice to be someone's crush.

No comments: