April 6, 2006

Goodbye Love

You don't want baggage without lifetime guarantees.
You don't want to watch me die?
I just came to say
Goodbye love goodbye love
Came to say goodbye love, goodbye
Just came to say
Goodbye love
Goodbye love
Came to say goodbye love goodbye
Just came to say goodbye love
Goodbye love goodbye love goodbye love

As you may recall, I saw Rent again on Broadway last Sunday. This song struck a particular chord...however it is most poignant now.

Just got off the phone with V--at work munching on a Burger King chicken sandwich at a hurried 3:30pm lunch--whence he told me to move on with my life.

He said, in simple English, that he didn't want me waiting around for him. Waiting for something that would NEVER happen. He's not going down "that road" again and he's "100% committed, not 99.9% but 100% committed to his current relationship". Most girls would respect a man that said that. I'm not most girls. Not to say I don't respect V--but that statement certainly didn't elevate him any in my eyes. This song kept playing in my mind as I sat in silence. A stony silence. He said the requisite right things: I care about you. I'll always care about you. I just want you to be happy. blah blah blah. I have no doubt he meant them...but how quickly he forgets that on this side of the phone wires it just sounds hollow and concilliatory--trite and tenuous.

Goodbye V...goodbye V
Just came to say goodbye V.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hope it works out for you...