June 6, 2006

Big Sur

The night in a tent was harsh compared to the night in the car--I was freezing. All Li's warnings of chilly California nights didn't prepare me for how cold it was at Big Sur by the lake at the end of May.

The campgrounds were packed with crunchy, granola types with their kids and families spending an all-American Memorial Day Weekend. We toasted marshmallows and gulped down cold Budlights as we enjoyed the dusk drawing to a close.

I wanted to stop at the Henry Miller library but decided to leave it for another visit since I knew the guys had grown weary of my desired shop stops.

I did pick up the most serene, photo embossed, ceramic coasters from the most graceful, curvy, hippie woman--no doubt an artist--who had a single, thick white stripe like a sexy skunk (I was reminded of the skunk from Over the Hedge) in her black, coarse hair..she donned a purple sarong around herself in a black dress. I found her charming and wondered how many artists she had charmed in her youth--no doubt she was still charming them at her current age...just a shade before over-ripe.

No comments: