April 12, 2007

Umbrella Carcasses


As I walked to work, hasty as usual--tardiness--I couldn't help notice that the pavement was littered with umbrellas whose cheapness and/or usefulness had been deemed unworthy by their former owners.

There were particular stretches of my path that served as umbrella cemeteries!

Tattered Umbrellas
Black Umbrellas
Colorful Umbrellas--hues ranging from pink to navy--

Umbrellas whose underwire had failed them
Umbrellas whose owners had derailed them
Umbrellas worn at the seams.

Corporate logo emblazoned Umbrellas
Chinatown-bought Umbrellas--$5--
Department Store Brand Umbrellas

No matter what they were in their umbrella lives, they all found themselves united--bound together--by their common fate of being discarded today by their owners in the vicinity of one another. Like people--who come from all walks of life--these umbrellas were left lifeless to a shared end.

My trusty black, automatic umbrella served me swimmingly except for a particularly gusty wind which turned it inside out. I didn't give up or surrender it to a final fatalistic reunion with its slaughtered bretheren. My determination to stand by my umbrella, forced me to coax it's shape back to the original dimensions and carry on with my brisk commute.

No comments: