March 18, 2009

Ready

The sun is shining. The birds are chirping. The weather is warming up.

Last night, post tea, Jo and I were walking across town.
The marrieds had been catching us up on wedding things and while a rapt audience we were not, we were good friends. We're excited for them. A new chapter. A new life. Getting what they always wanted with the one they wanted. Achievements all around.

So Jo says to me, "I'm ready to date."

I wasn't entirely caught unawares but there was a small part of me that cringed. This meant I would stand alone, officially. Alone in the not dating, not interested in dating camp of one.

But, I said to her, "Then go out and date. Putting yourself out there is the first step and if you're ready to make it--look out!"

And I meant it. She's a formidable woman in a diminutive frame. Kinda like I'm a diminutive woman in a formidable frame. HA!

She's driven, compassionate, INTENSE, hard-working, educated, globally engaged, witty, and responsible among other things. Those are just those useless inside things that don't even attract guys but certainly keep them--or so I still need to believe. She's tall, thin, pale with piercing blue eyes and short brown hair. She always dresses biz casual and carries ridiculously large handbags.

I can think of very few guys whose type she wouldn't be....I say that because it's those guys whose type I AM--Lord knows there are but a hanful of them.

So, she too begins a new chapter. Steps out of fear, loneliness, and anger to start a new life. Look at her go. I'm glad she's stepping out, it's time. Her time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent advice. She should not waste herself in solitude. It sucks to see someone keeping themselves on a shelf. There's a lot of things you can do even when your heart is squished on. . .

She's driven, compassionate, INTENSE, hard-working, educated, globally engaged, witty, and responsible among other things. Those are just those useless inside things that don't even attract guys but certainly keep them--or so I still need to believe.

Yes and no. It's all part of the package; (and these are good 'parts' to discover ins someone) . . but there's never any rule for what works or not.

For instance, people always tell me I should date super-brainy women but I find that . . well, its challenging but its not the most exciting challenge. Its too much like me. So, mentally I find street-smarts or ethnic/foreign smart slightly more fun to be with.

I digress. These items you list about her are very nice but they'd probably not be vital when it came to either 'deal-maker' or 'deal-breaker'. They're attractors but not the main ones.

Like, they can be swapped out. Me, I definitely like stable, grounded women; but then I also get excited by women-in-trouble and 'loose cannons', too. It's just that a lot more times, a LTR will come down to a whole set of other brass tacks than someone's globalism. . .