March 12, 2009

WAW

Last night, I went to the William Alanson White Institute of Psychoanalysis on the UWS to hear Dr. Philip Bromberg read from his latest paper on truth in the International Journal of Psychoanalysis.

It was a refreshing experience from an academic and psychoanalytic perspective. The array of grey/frizzy haired analysts filling the room warmed my heart's deepest recesses. I was strengthened by the number of practitioners in what is a dying field.

Plus the wine and cheese after the fact took me by complete surprise.
My future mentor--an energetic psychiatrist I met whilst in India is co-director of recruitment of the Institute--was opening bottles and all I could hear was the popping sound of cork releasing wine. I was called "effervescent" by an analyst who asked me more questions than I asked her.

An interesting truth of networking in mental health. In business, the key is to ask important people questions. People love to talk--mostly about themselves. In psychology, the listening profession, peoplle like to learn about you so they do the asking. It's a fascinating turnaround.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who except someone at Columbia would use "effervescent" in a real -life sentence? HA!

Was it a segue from the topic of champagne?

Oh you kid! 23-skidoo!