April 15, 2009

Wardrobe Malfunction

So, I was racing off the crosstown at 23rd Street in a long flowing skirt I bought in India circa 2003. This was my first time wearing it this season/year.
A sunny day which should have meant I'd worn my shades and forgone the umbrella but the reverse was the reality. Of course, I was late for work, rushing per usual.

A woman steps on my skirt tearing it all the way up to right where my ass ends (or begins depending on how you define that) and then YELLS at ME for being in her way. That's right, she yelled at ME.

I had to tie my leather jacket around my waist circa high school fashion in 1993 and run to the nearest store (TJMaxx) to buy an emergency skirt before getting to work. Predictably at the store, I had to try on things and depressingly the things that looked good were triple-digit-priced and the cheap stuff didn't fit or worse looked like I'd shopped in someone's grandmother's closet--my own Amma only has saris in her wardrobe.

Finally I found one for $14.99, stood in a 12 person line to buy it then a 4 person line to wear it out of the store. Got to work 1.5 hours late. Which is significant since I'm only here 5 hours today.

I was very very grateful for having granny panties on such a day. Unplanned but at least prepared...though the lycra skirt I bought now has the most ridiculous pantylines that make me look totally B&T, so the price I'm paying remains high.

Damn NYC!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg . . LMAO-AO-AO!!!

Where is someone with a digital camera when you really need them! Bwaa ahah aaha, the look on your face during this event must have been something to see.

See now what have I been telling you about New York City-- I'd call that saga a *typical day. I have a day almost as bad as that, about once a week or once every two weeks.

Poor Sweet! My sympathies. But you've been hoisted on your own petard. .

:-)